Being the Coach’s Wife isn’t easy, but somebody’s gotta do it! Here are 7 things all of us coaches wives know:
- Coaching is a huge commitment. Even at the youth level! Our husbands spend endless hours, days, weeks, heck even months preparing for the season. They give it their 100%, for little to no pay at all.
- During the season, your time with him will be limited. (Refer back to number 1). Then there are practices, meetings, games…
- He has no favorites. Nope, not even our own kid. In fact, they probably have it the toughest. They live with the Coach. If something is weighing heavy on his heart or mind, you can best believe our kid will hear about it even after leaving the game!
- Special occasions occasionally have to wait. I can’t even begin to tell you how many of our wedding anniversaries were spent at the football field. Instead of pouting about it, try and make the best of it. Surprise him with a card and cupcakes to share with the team!
- His players become family. He cares about each and every child on the team as if they were his own. As a result, so will you. You will more than likely find yourself chauffeuring a few of them to and from games, baking treats for them, and even crying when they cry.
- Not everyone will like him. There will always be parents, players, and fans who think that they can do a better job coaching than he is. You may even hear them say it while sitting in the stands. Take a few deep breaths and try not to take it too personal, Mama. You know he is doing the absolute best he can.
- We are their No. 1 fans! We listen, support, and do not judge. We are ecstatic when they win and heartbroken when they lose. We know exactly how much time, energy, and dedication they put into the season. And because coaching makes them happy, we are okay with it all!
Is your husband a coach too? I’d love to hear what you’d add to the list! Leave a comment below or join hundreds of real Sports Mamas, just like yourself, in the Confessions of a Sports Mama Facebook Group.